Tuesday 7 February 2012

Happiness in Six minutes

Some find it in flowers...
Is it possible? Happiness in six minutes? First of all, what is happiness? According to wikipedia it’s a fuzzy concept. I like the idea of warm fuzzy feelings. Happiness is balance and contentment, it has no fixed point and is constantly in flux and when we are “happy” who can tell? Everyone! For happiness ripples outwards like a gentle ray of sunshine and we naturally gravitate towards it.

Happiness in six minutes… six minutes is all it takes to boil a perfectly cooked soft boiled egg with asparagus soldiers, I’m suggesting you give this recipe a go.
A golden yolk in 6 minutes...

If nothing more than to check out this newly discovered research. Something many of us always felt... the instincts sense and acknowledge surroundings before logic kicks in. 


Those who cook at home and take pleasure in doing so, eat more healthily and generally tend not to over indulge as often. Now by cook I mean buying wholesome ingredients, a combination of chopping, sometimes peeling, adding heat and spice, and having fun in the kitchen, there is no particular rule here, which is the best part.
A one pot wonder, I love less tidying up!
With Valentines Day looming, I mean, uh hum, dawning, ah yes! that sounds much nicer – many will be wanting to add some vroom vroom to their love lives. This is good, though the temptation to blow a bob on a bunch of red roses perhaps should be resisted. In place, how about a bunch of Asparagus! Seriously.

Rich in vitamin E, which boosts sensuality and helps to promote skin healing, this libido boosting green gem will lift your mood and leave feelings of frumpiness at the door. Now, dip one into a golden yolk and you are dipping into happiness – on so many levels, I promise!

When we cook healthy meals, feelings of positivity increase. This then follows through to the next meal and the next and so on. My beautiful Mum always said life happens in cycles, so as your wheel turns full circle, let it grow in strength and nourishment.
My special Egg!
When my two bothers and I were babes in arms, my Dad gave us each a marble egg, one blue, one green, one yellow; he later told us that this was to symbolise the new possibilities that life and happiness bring each day. Happiness is simple, and yet as the French philosopher Blaise Pascal wrote in the 17th century “Distraction is the only thing that consoles us for our miseries, and yet it is itself the greatest of our miseries.” He also famously remarked that all of man’s problems come from his inability to sit quietly in a room alone. So happiness may all be about quiet, I like that. I like this too;


If you cannot find peace within yourself, you will never find it anywhere else. ~ Marvin Gaye 

This morning I sat quietly for six minutes, it was blissful.

Give yourself six minutes. Now, tomorrow and everyday. It starts with six minutes….

Love always,

FFXOX

Soft boiled egg with Asparagus soldiers

SERVES 2

Asparagus, 1 bunch
Eggs, 4 medium
Freshly ground black pepper, a scratch
Maldon salt, a sprinkle

BOIL the kettle.
TRIM woody ends of the asparagus.
PLACE eggs and asparagus in a snug fitting saucepan.
POUR over boiling water to cover.
SIMMER for 6 minutes exactly.
DRAIN and slice the top off each egg.
PLACE in your favourite egg cups and serve with asparagus along side.
GENEROUSLY season and sample the joys of a six minute melody.






2 comments:

  1. These look absolutely delicious. A runny egg yolk is closest I can get to heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I love poaching eggs lightly and adding them whole to a bowl of soup, then pop... Runny yolk turning simple soup into golden nourishment!

      Delete

I'm glad you're here and would love to know what you think? If there’s a dish or a type of food you’d like to see here, please do let me know. Your comments, notes, tweets always bring a smile to my face. Thanks very much for stopping by at Feeling Food:)